(no) deja-vu... - why no characters or locations from 1?

This forum is reserved for Outcast 2 general discussions.

Moderators: Jami, SKEMETH, zigue

Postby Ninja Dodo » 24 Mar 2002, 13:01

I'm new here, and I just read some of the info on Outcast 2.

What I really don't understand is why Appeal decided to leave out all characters and locations from Outcast 1, except Cutter.

I mean, the best part of a sequel is always revisiting locations and seeing how they've changed and talking to old friends....

Why? [confused]
Ninja Dodo

Postby Ulukai84 » 24 Mar 2002, 13:40

becouse the game is also for PS2 and Outcast1 was only for pc,so appeal decide to make a stand alone game for people who doesn't play the firt chapter! [:)]
Ulukai84

Postby Yod Xerxes » 24 Mar 2002, 15:06

I think ít's a good thing that you visit new places but I agree with ninja dodo that they should have left old places and characters in it to, it could be real cool to see how the regeon's are on a other time. [xx/]
Yod Xerxes

Postby Ninja Dodo » 25 Mar 2002, 20:40

yeah.

okay let's look at it from the point of view of a newbie. Locations or characters from game 1 are going to be just as new as everything else in the game [eek]. That shouldn't be too much of a problem... As long as you don't need knowledge of Outcast 1 to solve particular puzzles or understand the dialogue it's okay for noobs. So, why not?
Look, I can imagine Marion not coming back (unless they'd pull some sort of Ripley-scenario) but why can't we meet Zokrim, Jan, Maar, and all the others I'm forgetting who didn't die?

btw that reminds me:
Will the characters in Outcast 2 be distinctly different from each other? In 1 you could only tell one talan from another by the color of their clothes, even the key-characters (with a few exceptions).

while I'm at it:
one thing about the stealth part that really bothered me was that you couldn't use or drop anything while crouching. So you could crawl up to a guard with some TNT but to drop it you'd have to stand up and be seen. Of course it's possible to make a run for it and hit the CLPR-T, but it defeats the purpose of stealth. In that case, I could just waltz in without crawling and blast them away [moder] ... same odds.
Ninja Dodo

Postby Kejero » 25 Mar 2002, 23:04

Hey Dodo, looks like we share the same interests ;)

I fully agree with ye (as the story-lover i am :) , i'd like to see how things have evolved and such)

Will the characters in Outcast 2 be distinctly different from each other? In 1 you could only tell one talan from another by the color of their clothes, even the key-characters (with a few exceptions).

Aye, i thought so indeed

[hat]
Kejero

Postby Ninja Dodo » 26 Mar 2002, 23:40

Heh, seems that way, doesn't it? [:D]
JJ2, Leon, LMK, Outcast, level editing, storytelling in general... am I leaving anything out?
Anyway, let's drink to that. [cheer]
Ninja Dodo

Postby Antaeus » 31 Mar 2002, 19:33

Well basicly, if they were going to use the old OC characters again, who would it be?
Marion = Dead
Kauffman = Dead
Xue = (Presumably) Dead
Maybe we will get to see some familiar Talan like Jan, or Nikaa (the unsolved mystery of evolution [lol] )
Anyway, I'm hoping to see an even more impressive Talanzaar, and that the Dolotaï Guardians make a stunning appearance.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair
Charles Dickens
Antaeus

Postby MR » 2 Apr 2002, 7:53

you guys r forgetting that OC2 will take place IN THE PAST. so, long before any of the characters from oc1 were even born. that is all ... :)
La luna y la estrella guardarán siempre a walker del sueño...
MR

Postby Yod Xerxes » 2 Apr 2002, 14:27

I don't think OC2 will take place in the past, because on the Appeal site the say the Talaans sent a mesenger to earth to ask the help of Cutter. And if OC2 was before OC1 the Talaans didn't now about Cutter. [^^]
Yod Xerxes

Postby Ye-roon » 3 Apr 2002, 10:24

YEAH!!............................
Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
Ye-roon

Postby MR » 3 Apr 2002, 20:59

that's why the general asks cutter for help :)
MR

Postby Yod Xerxes » 4 Apr 2002, 10:12

This is what they say on the OC2 site:

"Talan people are under attack. They sent a messenger to bring you back to the planet and save them from their plight... "

The Talan people ask for help not the general.
Yod Xerxes

Postby MR » 4 Apr 2002, 14:18

that's promotional talking
really, read the kronos project: you'll see what I mean
(can anyone please confirm my theory?:)
MR

Postby Ye-roon » 6 Apr 2002, 13:04

NO
Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
Ye-roon

Postby kikkum » 8 Apr 2002, 14:08

You are right, but i do not hope it's in the past, cause that would mean no advances (well maybe ancient but i want talanz :P)
Signature.. Let us think about that word for a minute. What do you think of when you hear the word 'signature'.
For me, a signature blabla, blabadeebla blabla...
kikkum

Next

Return to Outcast 2 discussions